Identifying your correct body shape is the key to wearing clothing that suits you, essentially accentuating your best assets or playing down and diverting attention away from the areas of the body you feel more self-conscious about.
You may think that your pear body shape is disproportioned but you share this lovely styling challenge with approximately 21% of the population – you are not alone!
What is the pear body shape?
As a pear shape you have a defined waist, your bust and shoulders will be narrower in relation to your wider hips and curvier lower body. You will normally take a smaller dress size on your top half than your lower half, although in some instances there may be two or three sizes difference.
Your pear shape should be embraced. A lot of pear-shaped women can be self-conscious about their hips and thighs, but there are many tips and tricks that can help disguise this area and make you look slimmer, as well as learning how to play up other areas.
Pear Body Shape Styling
It is all about creating a pleasing balance to the eye. In a nutshell, you need to emphasise your shoulders, diverting focus away from your lower half and accentuate your natural waistline.
Here are my top 5 pear body shape styling tips:
- Wear tops with a strong structured shoulder and/or exaggerated features on your sleeves that will add volume, giving the illusion of wider shoulders.
- Draw attention to your top half with colourful and interesting prints, as well as statement jewellery. A colourful scarf can work wonders here or big earrings.
- At the same time as wearing colourful, light coloured and printed tops, choose to wear darker neutral colours or bolder colours on your lower half to divert the attention away from your hips and thighs.
- Lengthen your legs and make them appear slimmer too by wearing skirts and trousers with a high waistline. You will find that this style will fit your waistline perfectly with no annoying gaping around the back.
- Round toe shoes should be avoided, as they will make you look shorter, from an appearance perspective. Remember, it is about lengthening your overall body proportions, so will make you appear taller and slenderer. A block heel or more substantial tapered heel will work well for pear shaped women to help balance your curvier hips and thighs.
These are just a few ideas and styling tips to help you to enhance your body shape. For a more in-depth solution to pear body shape styling, you may want to consider booking me for a one-to-one virtual or in-person personal styling session.
With a personalised style mood board, highly suitable and flattering key pieces selected in advance and a proven styling method based upon your body shape, I will provide you with the ultimate and stylish capsule wardrobe for your beautiful pear shape, combining key pieces you already own, along with some perfectly curated new additions.
Alternatively, I can provide you with tailored body shape style guide upon request.
You can book a virtual or in-person personal styling packages with me as introductory, half-day or full day sessions, and you can find out more here. Alternatively, you can get in touch by calling me on 07971 484882 or emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org.